Family WiFi Routers
Here are three newer options that are transforming home technology protection. With these options parents can filter content, limit screen time, and monitor usage.
- Koala Safe - Video about Koala Safe
- Circle with Disney - Video about Circle
- Qustodio - Video about Qustodio
- Covenant Eyes will allow you to flag certain content on multiple devices and when inappropriate content is used you will be notified. - Video about Covenant Eyes
- Teen Safe - Video about Teen Safe
Now, cellphones are a different animal!
It is extremely difficult for parents to manage the cell phone usage of their children. 88% of American teens ages 13 to 17 have or have access to a mobile phone of some kind, and a majority of teens (73%) have smartphones. We don't have good data on when to give children cell phones but through our experience we don't see it wise to give unlimited internet to elementary students. So, if your elementary student has a SMART phone you may consider limiting Safari which you can do in the settings.
The most brilliant thing we have seen parents do with the use of cellphones is create a cell phone contract between parents and child. Here is an example.