Through prayer and thoughtful collaboration with students, families and teachers, we are reexamining our daily academic rhythm. Based on our internal research — coupled with external literature — we have elected a hybrid four-period block A/B schedule. This schedule will maintain the same daily hours already established at OCA (8a-3:20p), while preserving our identity rooted in daily spiritual formation.
Under the new block schedule, students will attend four different classes a day, as opposed to eight; and the new schedule will continue to accommodate chapel, Bible courses, and utilize an athletic block for in-season sports.
Benefits of this structure include:
- Increased time to complete homework
- More balanced classes at a slower daily pace for students
- Increased time to recover grades and make up for canceled school days
- Additional elective opportunities for students
- Deeper dive into curriculum and more opportunities for teachers to engage students
For those seniors who have exceeded credit requirements for graduation, we will be offering a more individualized track of education to enrich their senior year. We will continue to work to ensure that all individual students are given opportunities to reach their God-given potential and enjoy the traditionally, rich academic environment at OCA.